Having a Green Beer? Call a Designated Driver! Remember: Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving

Make sure you and your friends are safe this St. Patrick’s Day and upcoming weekend by remembering one important piece of advice: Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving.

This means that if you plan to drink any alcoholic beverage, and even a watered-down green beer, it’s essential that you plan for a designated driver.


In 2018 alone, 73 people were killed in drunk-driving crashes over the St. Patrick’s Day holiday period (6 p.m. March 16 to 5:59 a.m. March 18).

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 36,560 people were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2018, and 29 percent (10,511) of those fatalities occurred in crashes where a driver had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) over the legal limit of .08. During 2018 in Wyoming, 111 people were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes and 31 percent (34) of those fatalities had a BAC over the legal limit.

“We want everyone to enjoy St. Patrick’s Day, and we expect drivers to take responsibility for their actions,” said Lt. Alan McOmie of the Lander Police Department. “If you’ve been drinking, make the right choice to find a sober driver to transport you and your friends home safely. Before you put your keys in the ignition, remind yourself: Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving. If you feel a buzz, you are in no shape to drive.”

Beginning St. Patrick’s weekend — Friday, March 13, through St. Patrick’s Day, Tuesday, March 17 — additional troopers, officers and deputies will be out on patrol as part of an impaired driving enforcement operation. Fremont County law enforcement will show zero tolerance for those driving drunk or impaired. Law enforcement is reminding you, if your plans involve alcohol, plan for a ride home with a sober driver.

Fremont County law enforcement officers recommend these safe alternatives to drinking and driving:

  • Remember that it is never OK to drink and drive. Even if you’ve had only one alcoholic beverage, designate a sober driver or plan to use public transportation, taxi or a ride-sharing service to arrive home safely;
  • If you see a drunk driver on the road, contact Fremont County law enforcement or dial 911;
  • Have a friend who is about to drink and drive? Take the keys away and make arrangements to transport your friend home safely.