Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) is an agency committed to providing a safe, high quality, and efficient transportation system for the State of Wyoming. WYDOT now seeks a full-time Engineer II located in Riverton, Wyoming. This position is responsible for, but not limited to, performing tasks for highway projects from inception through design, construction and contract completion, under the direction of the Resident Engineer.
Human Resource Contact: 307-568-3427
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Issues, reviews, comments, and revises plan sets.
- Reviews and approves or rejects project submittals/permits.
- Reviews and updates forms and documentation procedures in regards to construction activities and pay quantities.
- Inspects and assures projects/facilities are completed in accordance with plans, specifications, design criteria, and are within budgetary constraints.
- Compiles and submits engineering recommendations and summaries for the design of a variety of projects/facilities with varying levels of complexity.
- Conducts extensive research of existing and evolving technologies.
- Provides technical guidance, advice, and oversight.
- Reviews Architectural drawings and specifications in regards to building construction. Monitors and inspects contractor operations during building construction to ensure compliance with the plans and specifications.
- Works in direct contact with contractors and subcontractors on a daily basis in the management of projects under construction.
- In the same context, deal with landowners, traveling public and local, county, state and federal government entities.
- Maintains and manipulates databases, builds network-wide performance models used for system analysis; provides technical support on widely-used department software programs.
- Surveys buildings and other structures and determines their ability to withstand the forces of nature, as well as such other unnatural disasters such as fire, explosion and warfare.
- Insures that all public buildings are constructed or modified to conform with federal and state laws that require access and accommodation for the handicapped.
- Knowledge of authoritative reference materials in the field of engineering.
- Knowledge of surveying and surveying instruments and measurement and testing equipment and systems.
- Knowledge of complex algorithms used in mathematical computer models to recognize the theory as the basis of their use.
- Knowledge of construction methods and processes, project scheduling, cost estimating procedures, and material quantity takeoffs.
- Knowledge of scientific and/or technical research practices.
Bachelor’s Degree (in Engineering)
0-3 years of progressive work experience (in Engineering) with acquired knowledge at the level of an Engineer I.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Engineer in Training (EIT) License or Fundamentals in Engineering (FE) Required.
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to sit/stand and operate equipment for long periods of time.
- Work outdoors for extended periods of time in adverse environmental conditions.
- Work around heavy machinery.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- WYDOT will conduct motor vehicle record checks to verify for a valid driver’s license.
- Occasional overnight travel is required.
- All new hires or rehires starting in a non-exempt position on or after January 1, 2018 are required to be paid hourly.
- E-Verify: WYDOT uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
045-Department of Transportation – WYDOT – Chief Engineer – District Construction
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.