Construction and Field Survey Technician-Lander
$15.56 – $19.45 Hourly
045-WYDOT-Chief Engineer – District Construction
Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) is now seeking a full-time Construction and Field Survey Technician located in Lander, Wyoming where you can enjoy a community that offers great activities throughout the year just a few miles away to include: camping, fishing, and hunting!
Under limited supervision, the Construction and Field Survey Technician will perform various duties which include surveys and inspections on preliminary designs and construction projects, and conduct material testing in order to provide a safe, high quality and efficient transportation system for the State of Wyoming.
Human Resource Contact: 307-568-3427
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Inspects construction projects.
- Prepare, review, maintain and file construction project records, estimates and reports.
- Perform topographic surveys.
- Conducts aggregate gradation testing, density testing for earthwork and surfacing, and concrete testing.
- Performs survey tasks such as drive stakes, hubs, hold tapes, hold rod, and instrument operation.
- Performs minor surveying computations such as slopes, areas, volumes, cuts and fills, etc.
- Inspects pipe backfill and fill construction.
- Inspects paving operation to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Performs minor engineering computations such as areas, volumes, material spread rates, etc.
- Tests, samples and reports materials proposed to be used in construction projects.
- Reviews and learns test methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Performs basic engineering calculations.
- Performs testing and sampling on bridges and roadways for analysis.
- Reviews and learns traffic control methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Sets up, maintains, and removes a safe traffic control plan under live traffic conditions.
- Maintains traffic control devices in the field; performs traffic control duties.
- Assist in the investigation of existing roadways for forensic study.
- Assists in gathering samples, providing a safe working zone, flagging, etc.
- Ensures that proper equipment and supplies are loaded and in good working condition.
- Performs more complex lab tests of samples, and documents results for QA/QC purposes.
- Serves as a technical resource for other employees; attends and completes all designated training sessions in order to maintain required certifications, performs inspections.
- Communicates both internally and externally regarding project information and courses of action/consequences, on smaller projects.
- Oversee smaller projects and/or components of larger projects.
- Assists in permitting processes to obtain water, gravel, plant site, and surveying agreements and aids in the renewal and file maintenance of these agreements.
**Must have the ability to obtain a Valid Driver’s License
**Must have the ability to obtain QC/QA Certification in Soils & Aggregate, Asphalt, and Concrete
**Must have the ability to obtain Asphalt Concrete, Soil & Aggregate Certification
**Asphalt Concrete, Soil & Aggregate
**WYDOT Portland Cement Concrete Certification
**ACI Concrete Level 2 Certification
**Must have the ability to obtain American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Certification
- Knowledge of materials testing. Surveying methods and equipment operation.
- Knowledge of construction inspection which includes interpretation of plans and specification.
- Knowledge of documentation of project records.
- Knowledge of communication with supervisors and contractors.
- Knowledge of working towards a leadership role.
- Knowledge of working outdoors and a variety of weather conditions.
- Knowledge of material testing, ability to perform complicated computer calculations.
- Knowledge of survey methods & ability to apply such as uploading & downloading of survey files.
- Knowledge of computers and calculators.
- Knowledge of surveying.
- Knowledge of contract time, administration & contract changes.
- Knowledge of engineering computations/formulas.
- Knowledge of core drilling equipment, pneumatic & electric jackhammers and hand tools.
0-1 year of progressive work experience (typically in Construction and Field Surveying) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Construction and Field Survey Assistant
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Must have the ability to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License
Education & Experience Substitution:
2-4 years of progressive work experience (typically in Construction and Field Surveying) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Construction and Field Survey Assistant
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Potentially exposed to hazardous waste and biological waste.
- Working around high-speed traffic and heavy construction equipment.
- Work outdoors in a variety of inclement weather conditions to include heat, cold, snow and wet.
- Physical Ability: Bending, stooping and lifting up to fifty pounds; safely lift and move necessary materials from one point to another; ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- E-Verify: WYDOT uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
- All new hires or re-hires starting in a non-exempt position on or after January 1, 2018 are required to be paid hourly.
045-Wyoming Department of Transportation – WYDOT – Chief Engineer – District Construction
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.