WYDOT – Hiring Heavy Mechanic – Lander
The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) is seeking a Heavy Mechanic located in Lander, Wyoming. Under direct supervision, this position performs a variety of maintenance and repair tasks with automotive equipment on heavy-duty vehicles, including diesel and gasoline engine overhauls and tune- ups, brakes, steering, transmission or hydraulic repair.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Conducts a wide variety of preventive maintenance and/or repairs on various automotive or heavy equipment, along with other self-propelled or towed equipment.
- Performs safety inspections on all types of automotive components and heavy equipment vehicles.
- Reads and interprets technical manuals in order to diagnose and correct problems on vehicles and equipment.
- Rigs and fabricates new equipment to district standards.
- Creates repair orders.
- Responsible for inventory of shop, equipment, and supplies.
- Designs and fabricates parts for tractors, mowers, and machinery for specialized applications.
Preference will be given to applicants who have successfully completed any equipment certification exams.
- Agency requires that the successful applicant obtain a Commercial Driver’s License within 30 days of employment.
- Welder Certification card for FH&V Fillet and FH&V Grove 3/4″ welds is a plus.
- Must have ability to obtain a SMAW FH&V 3/4″ max welding certification.
- Must pass a series of seven fundamental tests including: Electricity, Engines, Hydraulics, Power Trains, Administrative Procedures, Rigging and General Shop.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of automotive maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of electronic principles and diagnostic tools.
- Knowledge of light and heavy duty automotive equipment and their parts (i.e. hydraulics, hydrostatics, drive trains, gas and diesel engine overhauls.)
- Knowledge of grease and oil specifications.
- Knowledge of general servicing of equipment.
- Knowledge of policies and safe work procedures.
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Individuals in this classification must be available for emergency work calls at anytime, including nights, weekends and holidays. Individuals must report to the Department Shop within 30 minutes of receiving the call. Acceptance of an appointment to this classification signifies that the individual is aware of this requirement and will comply with it. Failure to be available for emergency work, without an acceptable excuse, will be grounds for immediate disciplinary action and possible dismissal.
- Individuals in this classification will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Constant use of manual and powered hand tools
daily use of motor vehicles and heavy equipment
- Occasional exposure to hazardous materials.
- Ability to lift and/or carry 50 pounds independently.
- Ability to stand/sit and operate equipment for long periods of time.
- Work in adverse environmental conditions.
- Working around high speed traffic and heavy construction equipment.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.