#Whatshappening… A Lot! Employment Expo Thursday; Winter Fair events; Men who Cook; Lander Valley Poetry and more
Still got those winter blues? Here’s a prescription to brighten your weekend, lots of fun things are on tap in the Wind River Country. Looking for a job: We got you covered. Want you kid to play Lander youth soccer? We got you covered. The Wyoming State Winter Fair? Yep, it’s in here too, plus many more activities to keep a family busy. Check out the list below:
March 1 – Employment Expo – Riverton
Looking for a Job? Here’s the place to go: The 2018 Fremont County Employment Expo is set for Thursday, March 1 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Robert A. Peck Arts Center Gallery at Central Wyoming College. Resume critique will be available throughout the day.
March 1-15 – Youth Soccer Registration – Lander
Lander Valley Youth Soccer – Spring 2018 – It is time to register for the Spring recreational soccer season! Our goal is for your children to enjoy themselves and learn the basic skills of the game. Registration: Open March 1st to March 15th until 5:00 p.m. ****ALL REGISTRATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED ONLINE**** Please go to www.landersoccer.org for registration links. Feel free to contact a board member if you require assistance with the registration process. Your child must be 5 or older by April 9, 2018. Fee: $25 per player. This fee is refunded for parents who coach. Scholarships are available for families who need a little help. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
March 2 – Jackpot Team Roping – Lander
The Wyoming State Winter Fair Jackpot Team Roping is Friday, March 2, at the Lander Old Timers Rodeo Arena on Airport Hill. Entries start at 6:30 pm, roping competition begins at 7 pm. Free admission. For more information, call Ted Seely at 349-2002.
March 2 – First Friday – Lander
Everyone is invited to come and enjoy First Friday at the Middle Fork! This event features a new local artist each month as well as a local musician showcasing! Art showing begins at 5PM with music on at 6PM! Dinner and drinks will be available for purchase!
March 3 – Mini Bull Riding – Lander
The Wyoming State Winter Fair Mini Bull Riding Competition will be held Saturday, March 3, at the Lander Old Timers Rodeo Arena.
March 3 – Ribbons of the Past Poetry – Lander
6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Fremont County Pioneer Museum, 1443 W Mainm Lander, Noted Lander author and poet Rodger Weitzel is known for his humorous and poignant poems about life in the Lander Valley from an old time cowboy perspective. Some of his well-known poems are “The Fremont” about the old Fremont Hotel in Lander and “Memories in Mother’s Trunk.” Weitzel was born in Nebraska. One of a family of 8, they raised horses. He moved to Wyoming at age 16 and continued to cowboy. After serving in Vietnam, Weitzel came back to Wyoming and began writing. His new book “Ribbons of the Past” came out last year and signed copies will be available at the program. This program is part of the Wyoming Community Bank Discovery Speakers Series and is open and free to the public.
March 3 – Men Who Cook – Riverton
The 2018 Men Who Cook event is set for March 3rd @ 6:00 pm @ the Fremont County Fairgrounds in the Fremont Center. Local celebrity chefs will provide small portion meals. Currently, eighteen teams of businessmen, school and city administrators, and philanthropists plan to showcase their signature dishes. Men Who Cook is an outreach for the United Way of Southwest Wyoming and the Graduation Matters Riverton group. The goal of the partnership is to raise funds for residents of Fremont County to participate in the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. Every participant will receive a brand new, hard-bound book each month from the time they are born until Kindergarten—60 books in all. What a way to jumpstart literacy in Fremont County as we work to help all of our students read “on grade level” by the end of third grade.
March 3 – Dinner and Dance – Riverton
The Silver Linings Dinner and Dance at the Holiday Inn, Riverton, begins at 6 p.m. to benefit Child Development Services. $50 per ticket donation to CDS. Music by Barcode 307. For ticket information, call 856-4337 or 332-5508.
March 4 – Winter Fair Horse Show – Lander
March 6 – Open House at CWC – Riverton
Central Wyoming College invites the public to an open house at the Professional Technical Building on campus on Monday, March 6 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Meet faculty and students and learn about CWC’s trade programs. Open to the public and high school students are encouraged to attend.
March 9 – Chamber Luncheon – Riverton
The annual luncheon of the Riverton Chamber of Commerce is on tap Friday, March 9 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Reach Foundation Clubhouse on North Eighth West at Pershing. CWC President Brad Tyndall is the guest speaker. Registration deadline is March 5th. $14 for Chamber members, $17.50 for non-members. For more information call 856-4801.
March 9 – Chamber Awards Luncheon – Lander
The Lander Chamber of Commerce will host the annual Community Awards Luncheon on Friday, March 9, noon-1pm, at the Lander Community & Convention Center, 950 Buena Vista Drive. Help us acknowledge and recognize outstanding individuals and businesses in our community! Please join us for this festive community affair. One ticket is included in all Chamber memberships; additional tickets are available at $30 each (tickets not available at the door). LAST CHANCE TO RSVP! CALL NOW TO RESERVE YOUR TICKET! Call or stop by the Lander Chamber, 160 N. 1st St., 332-3892.
March 24 – Craft Show – Lander
The Third Annual Spring Craft Show and Expo Sponsored by World Youth Day is Sat., March 24, 2018, 9AM-3 PM
at Holy Rosary Catholic Church,163 Leedy Drive in Lander in the Boeseke and Knights of Columbus Hall.
Vendors, please contact: Terry Federer, 307-349-0327 or Teresa Federer at 332-9852 or Carol Baron at 332-5129
Ongoing Weekly Events
• Riverton Little League Baseball Registration. This year, parents can register their kids online at this link. Last day to register is March 23rd. Each parent will need to create their own account. By clicking the register tab it takes them to the account screen. From there they will enter all of their basic information. Once that is complete they will be able to “add a player” Each player will automatically be sorted into the right division based on their birth date. Parents will be able to upload birth certificates and agree to waivers right online. Online payment is also possible now.
• Enjoy a real wild mustang horse tour at the Wind River Wild Horse Sanctuary located on the Wind River Indian Reservation between Lander and Fort Washakie. Learn about Native American horse culture at the visitor center’s interpretative display. See life on a real working cattle, horse and sheep ranch. Wild Horse Sanctuary Private Tours will be offered by appointment only during fall, winter, and spring (Sept. 1 through May 31). Regular summer tours are offered Monday-Friday 10am-2pm, and Saturday 11am-2pm. 8616 Hwy. 287 just north of Lander. Contact the Wind River Wild Horse Sanctuary for details. *Fall, Winter, and Spring tours are by appointment only: 307-438-3838
• Family Ice Skating at Lander City Park. Skate rentals $2.50,admission $1.50. Mon.-Fri. 10am-5pm, Sat.-Sun. 12-5pm. Night skates on Wed.7-9pm and Sat 7-10pm. Concessions on site. 307-332-4647.40
• Weekly Ice Skating at Tonkin Stadium open air ice rink.Rink is open during daylight. Skate rentals $3: Thurs.3-6pm, Fri. 3-9pm, Sat. 12-9pm, and Sun. 12-5pm. Closed if the temperature is below zero. West Main St. and HillsideDr.
• Indoor Farmers Markets – Countywide: Various location offering a variety of locally raised, grown, and baked foods and crafted goods: eggs, fresh milk, locally raised meats, poultry, baked goods, jams, fermented foods, and handmade fine crafts. Riverton
• FREE Brazilian Jiu Jitsu & Judo Classes for kids and adults at Wind River Dojo Anyone looking to get in shape, try something new, or learn how to defend themselves should come check out Wind River Dojo. Patrick Hall, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Brown Belt, and Marcio Barreto, a Judo Brown Belt, are offering FREE classes to both kids and adults at the Lander Air National Guard Armory (31 Leedy Dr.). Classes are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays for anyone 6 years or older. We have both a kids program and an adult program. ANG Armory – 31 Leedy Dr., Lander, WY Mondays & Wednesdays – 5:45 – 7:00 pm Saturdays (except every 2nd Sat.) – 9:00 – 11:00 am
• Dining with Diabetes, every Friday evening, 5 to 7 p.m. at the Shoshoni Senior Center, 214 East 2nd Street.
• Wind River Indian Reservation – Northern Arapaho Cultural Insights: Northern Arapaho Experience Room – A cultural treasure of Arapaho artifacts and artwork open every day. Call in advance for a schedule of Arapaho Elders who share Arapaho language lessons and traditional story telling. Held at the Wind River Hotel & Casino, 10269 Highway 789. Call for times: 307-851-5394.
• Lander – The Fremont County Parkinson’s Support Group meets on the first Thursday of every month at the Lander Senior Center at 2 p.m. after the Parkinson’s Exercise Group. For more information, call the Senior Center at 332-2746, Marjane Ambler at 332-3732, or Carol Harper at 332-2907
• Riverton and Lander – Caregiver support group, first Thursday of each month at Wyoming Senior Citizens, 106 West Adams, 11 to 1; Second Thursday of each month at Frontier Home Health, 230 North 1st Street, 11 to 1, Lunch included. Open to all caregivers
• Lander Junior Flag Football, April 3—May 3, 2018, Tuesdays & Thursdays @ LVHS Football Field, 7:00—8:15 pm. The 1st week will include fundamentals & skill development 7:00—8:00 pm in LVHS Auxiliary Gym. The 2nd week players will be split onto teams and have team practices. Weeks 3-5 will include a rotating game schedule with each team playing one game
per evening lasting roughly 35 minutes. A Registration Fee $30 (payable to Lander Junior Football); any parents interested in
helping contact Coach Rounds at 605-645-7508 or email@example.com. Mail a registration to Coach Rounds, 350 Baldwin Creek Road, Lander, WY 82520