#Whatshappening: HS Football, Cycling; Museum Speaker Series, Barn Dancing and the Paws & Pearls this weekend
(Fremont County, Wyo.) – Here are this weekend’s #whatshappening listing of events around the Wind River Country
Friday, September 8th
Fremont County – High School Football Schedules
It’s week two of the local high school football scene. Here’s where your team is playing:
Tuesday night: Lander Freshmen 48 Wyoming Indian 6
Thursday night: Natrona County Sophomores 21, Wind River 12
Riverton at Green River, 7 p.m.
Lander Valley at (2A) Glenrock, 7 p.m.
(2A) Lovell at Shoshoni, 7 p.m.
Dubois at Meeteetse, 6 p.m.
Wind River JV at Wyoming Indian (Saturday, 10 a.m.)
St Stephens at Ten Sleep (Saturday, 10 a.m.)
Saturday, September 9th
Lander – Wyoming Gravel Grinder cycling event
• The 5th and final race in the Wyoming Gravel Grinder Series, the Wyo 131 is the ultimate Wyoming cycling experience. Race 131 miles of beautiful gravel roads starting and finishing in the fun outdoorsy town of Lander, WY. The Wyo 131 race begins by weaving through desert hoodoos and old mining towns with stunning mountain views all the while climbing up into the Wind River Mountains passing along high mountain lakes before descending over 4,000 feet back to Lander. After the race, stick around for the awards and camaraderie in the loft of the iconic Lander Bar.
Riverton – Wyoming National Bank Speaker Series
Saturday, September 16th
Thursday, September 28th
Ongoing Weekly Events
• Riverton, Central Wyoming College Robert A. Peck Arts Center – August 14-October 6th – Midsummer Syzygy Art Show. For gallery hours and show information, call 307-855-2211. Artists include Robert Martinez, Steve Skelton, Linda Johnson, Nita Kehoe, Jamie Vosberg and Lonnie Slack.
• The Lander Art Center: POWR: Potters of the Wind Rivers Presents: “The Power of Multiples” exhibition of fine ceramic art. Free admission. Open Tuesday-Thursday 10-6 PM, and Friday-Saturday 10-4 PM. 214 Main Street. (307) 332-5772.
• Wind River Indian Reservation – Northern Arapaho Cultural Insights: Northern Arapaho Experience Room – A cultural treasure of Arapaho artifacts and artwork open every day. Call in advance for a schedule of Arapaho Elders who share Arapaho language lessons and traditional story telling. Held at the Wind River Hotel & Casino, 10269 Highway 789. Call for times: 307-851-5394.
• Lander – The Fremont County Parkinson’s Support Group meets on the first Thursday of every month at the Lander Senior Center at 2 p.m. after the Parkinson’s Exercise Group. For more information, call the Senior Center at 332-2746, Marjane Ambler at 332-3732, or Carol Harper at 332-2907
The “Lander Community Craft Fair” will be held November 10th & 11th at the Bob Carey Memorial Fieldhouse at Lander Valley High School. For information, call Penny at 332-6006