#Whatshappening: Celebrate the coming of 2018 in style this weekend; First Day Hikes planned
Get out your party favors, hiking boots and ice skates – It’s New Year’s Weekend across the county with plenty of entertainment. See the list below for this weekend’s fun:
Dec. 29-31 – Hand Game Tournament – Lander
Lander hosts the 3-day and Second Annual Handgame Tournament at the Shoshone Rose Casino and Hotel. Friday 3-Man Single Elimination: 7pm, Saturday Double Elimination: 2pm, and Sunday BoneHog Single Elimination: 1pm. Guaranteed payout awards. Free to attend. Team entry $25. 5690 Hwy. 287, Details: 307-349-7805
Dec. 30th – Wyoming Indian Basketball at home – Ethete
It’s the last local basketball game of 2017. Join Chiefs Nation for home games against the Class 3-A Cody Fillies and Broncs at Ethete on Saturday, 5:30 and 7 p.m.
Dec. 30th – New Year’s Party – Dubois
New Year’s Eve “Eve Party!” Dance to the music of Packin’ the Mail, 7-11 pm at the Headwaters Art and ConferenceCente
Dec. 30th – Cowboys to Curators Geology- Riverton
The Riverton Museum & WY Community Bank speakers series features a University of Wyoming geology talk: Cowboys to Curators, by Laura Vietti from 3-4 pm. Held at the Elks Club, 207 East Main St. 307-856-2665Sat, December 30, 3pm – 4pm
Dec. 31st – Community Wide Fireworks – Lander
Celebrate the new year by shooting off fireworks in the City of Lander on New Year’s Eve from 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Dec. 31st – New Year’s Eve Party – Riverton
Riverton hosts a New Year’s Night Out at the Fremont County Fairgrounds. Doors open 8pm. Enjoy a fantastic DJ, champagne at midnight, Hors d’oeuvres, photo booth, and party favors. Ends at 1:30am. MUST BE 21 OR OLDER TO ATTEND. Tickets $20, available at the Fremont County Fair office 1010 Fairgrounds Dr. Call 307-856-6611 for reservations.
Dec. 31st – Casino New Year’s Eve Party – Riverton
New Years Eve Party at the Wind River Hotel Casino with party favors, confetti canons, and a balloon drop. 8:30 pm-1 am. 10269 Hwy. 789. 307-856-3964,
Dec. 31st – Casino New Year’s Eve Party – Lander
Ring in 2018 with a Bang! Come to the Shoshone Rose Casino for a special midnight Fireworks Show! 10pm-1:30am. Call for more details: 307-206-7000. 5690 Hwy. 287.
Jan. 1st – First Day Hike – South Pass City State Historic Site
Begin your New Year with a First Day Hike at South Pass City State Historic Site Park. Bring good boots and dress warm for the 2-mile hike beginning at 11am. Meet at the Dance Hall. Dogs on leashes permitted. Refreshments will be served. 307-332-3684. 125 South Pass Main Street.
Ongoing Weekly Events
• Enjoy a real wild mustang horse tour at the Wind River Wild Horse Sanctuary located on the Wind River Indian Reservation between Lander and Fort Washakie. Learn about Native American horse culture at the visitor center’s interpretative display. See life on a real working cattle, horse and sheep ranch. Wild Horse Sanctuary Private Tours will be offered by appointment only during fall, winter, and spring (Sept. 1 through May 31). Regular summer tours are offered Monday-Friday 10am-2pm, and Saturday 11am-2pm. 8616 Hwy. 287 just north of Lander. Contact the Wind River Wild Horse Sanctuary for details. *Fall, Winter, and Spring tours are by appointment only: 307-438-3838
• Family Ice Skating at Lander City Park. Skate rentals $2.50,admission $1.50. Mon.-Fri. 10am-5pm, Sat.-Sun. 12-5pm. Night skates on Wed.7-9pm and Sat 7-10pm. Concessions on site. 307-332-4647.40
• Weekly Ice Skating at Tonkin Stadium open air ice rink.Rink is open during daylight. Skate rentals $3: Thurs.3-6pm, Fri. 3-9pm, Sat. 12-9pm, and Sun. 12-5pm. Closed if the temperature is below zero. West Main St. and HillsideDr.
• Indoor Farmers Markets – Countywide: Various location offering a variety of locally raised, grown, and baked foods and crafted goods: eggs, fresh milk, locally raised meats, poultry, baked goods, jams, fermented foods, and handmade fine crafts. Riverton
• FREE Brazilian Jiu Jitsu & Judo Classes for kids and adults at Wind River Dojo Anyone looking to get in shape, try something new, or learn how to defend themselves should come check out Wind River Dojo. Patrick Hall, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Brown Belt, and Marcio Barreto, a Judo Brown Belt, are offering FREE classes to both kids and adults at the Lander Air National Guard Armory (31 Leedy Dr.). Classes are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays for anyone 6 years or older. We have both a kids program and an adult program. ANG Armory – 31 Leedy Dr., Lander, WY Mondays & Wednesdays – 5:45 – 7:00 pm Saturdays (except every 2nd Sat.) – 9:00 – 11:00 am
• Dining with Diabetes, every Friday evening, 5 to 7 p.m. at the Shoshoni Senior Center, 214 East 2nd Street.
• Wind River Indian Reservation – Northern Arapaho Cultural Insights: Northern Arapaho Experience Room – A cultural treasure of Arapaho artifacts and artwork open every day. Call in advance for a schedule of Arapaho Elders who share Arapaho language lessons and traditional story telling. Held at the Wind River Hotel & Casino, 10269 Highway 789. Call for times: 307-851-5394.
• Lander – The Fremont County Parkinson’s Support Group meets on the first Thursday of every month at the Lander Senior Center at 2 p.m. after the Parkinson’s Exercise Group. For more information, call the Senior Center at 332-2746, Marjane Ambler at 332-3732, or Carol Harper at 332-2907