[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ admin_label=”section” _builder_version=”3.22″][et_pb_row admin_label=”row” _builder_version=”3.25″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.25″ custom_padding=”|||” custom_padding__hover=”|||”][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.0.5″]
It’s a new year and you know what that means…time to check expiration dates on all your medications and clean and organize that medicine cabinet!
Don’t know where to start? Here are some steps to guide you to a safe and healthy new year.
Step 1: Monitor
How aware are you of the prescription medications currently in your home? Would you know if some of your pills were missing? From this day forward, make sure you can honestly answer yes. Pay attention to what medication you have and how much. If that means counting pills, then count them. Being aware is the first step.
Step 2: Secure
Protect your medications as you would anything valuable in your home. Hide it in a place only you know about. If possible, keep all medicine, both prescription and over-the-counter, in a safe place, such as a locked cabinet.
Step 3: Dispose
If you no longer use a medication, proper disposal is key. There is never a need to hold onto expired or unused medicine, especially prescription drugs. Fremont County has several locations with drop boxes for safe drug disposal.
- Lander Police Department – 240 Lincoln Street
- Lander Public Health – 450 North 2nd, Rm 350
- Riverton Police Department – 816 North Federal Boulevard
- Dubois Sheriff’s Office – 712 Meckem Street
- Shoshoni Town Hall & Police Department – 102 West 2nd Street
- SageWest Health Care in Lander – 1320 Bishop Randall Drive
- SageWest Health Care in Riverton – 2100 West Sunset Drive
- Wind River Cares Clinic in Arapahoe – 14 Great Plains Road
- Indian Health Services Clinic in Ft. Washakie – 29 Black Coal Drive
OR…the Prevention Program has Deterra Drug Deactivation bags available for the public. They can be picked up at the Public Health office, 322 North 8th Street West in Riverton or at the Lander Public Health office, 450 North 2nd, Rm 350.
Make it your resolution to gain control over your medicine cabinet. A fresh start with only fresh meds!
For a more complete, in-depth list of medication safety, click here.