(Laramie, WY) – Lander Middle School (LMS) kids recently competed at the Wyoming State History Day competition at the University of Wyoming, with 5 of the 7 LMS competitors placing and 3 earning special awards, according to a post on the LMS Facebook page.
Only 2 competitors in each category move on to the national competition and Lander swept 2 of the 5 categories.
“These students have worked all year during Enrichment doing research, conducting interviews and constructing their projects. Their dedication has been incredible!” the Facebook posts goes on to state.
The following students will be moving onto the national competition in Washington, D.C. in June:
- Zoe Szymanski 1st place- Individual Historical Paper
- Ash Carlson 2nd place- Individual Historical Paper
- Lachlan Gebhart- 1st place Individual Documentary
- Grady Phillips- 1st place Individual Performance
- Kennedy Brown- 2nd place Individual Performance
The following won special awards:
- Grace Raymond Hebard Historian Award – Zoe Szymanski, $100
- Sissy Goodwin Award – Ash Carlson, $500
- Gerald and Jesse F. Chambers Award – Lachlan Gebhart, $500
Also competing for the Sabers were Max Peters and Ryder Connell, who had strong showings but were just short of placing. Check out some photos of the competition below!
Well done Sabers!