(Lander, WY) – The Wyoming State Library announced the winners today, April 19th for their 2020-2021 Wyoming Letters About Literature statewide contest. Three Fremont County School District #1 students received recognition for their letters.
In the grades 4-6 level, Alden Hartpence received 3rd place for his letter to S.E. Hinton. For the same grade level, Claire Francom received honorable mention for her letter to Rainbow Rowell. In the grades 9-12 level, Jessica Baron received honorable mention for her letter to Leo Tolstoy.
Letters About Literature asks students to respond to a book, rather than simply report on it. What matters most is the connection the student makes with the author’s words and the impact it has on that student’s life and how they see the world.
The letters of students who placed or earned honorable mentions and have consented to have their work published may be found at library.wyo.gov/letters. The complete list of winners is shared below.
2020-2021 Wyoming Letters About Literature Winners:
LEVEL 3: Grades 9-12
- 1st place: Natalie Konowicz, Cheyenne – Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- 2nd place: Sarah Schweitzer, Jackson – Animal Farm by George Orwell
- 3rd place: Luke Condie, Powell – Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan
- Honorable mention: Jessica Baron, Lander – Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
LEVEL 2: Grades 7-8
- 1st place: Liliana Riggle, Gillette – Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- 2nd place: Abbi Odell, Cheyenne – Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
- 3rd place: Adalee May, Lovell – Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
LEVEL 1: Grades 4-6
- 1st place: Eden Adams, Etna – The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- 2nd place: Joy Hayashida-Ludington, Jackson – Fighting Words by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- 3rd place: Alden M. Hartpence, Lander – The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
- Honorable mention: Claire Francom, Lander – Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Wyoming Letters About Literature is a reading and writing promotion of the Wyoming State Library. For more information about the contest, contact Susan Mark at email@example.com or (307) 777-5915.