Riverton motel burglarized Monday evening; Suspect captured by police at a different motel

    The Riverton Police Department responded to a burglary call at a motel Monday evening at 5:26 p.m.

    An employee at Motel 6 explained to police that she had just stepped away from her desk briefly, and when she came back she found a man going through her possessions.

    The man was accused of stealing keys, a cell phone, and possibly cash. The Motel 6 employee described the subject as “very defensive.”


    A short time later, officers located a vehicle matching the description of one the suspect drove away in, at a different Riverton motel.

    Riverton Police Department Captain Todd Byerly explained how they found the suspect,

    The reporting party had given a description of a vehicle that had left the scene after a male subject head been located in the manager’s office of the hotel.   Officers soon located a vehicle matching the given description in another motel parking lot.  After speaking with several subjects, it was determined that the suspect(s) were inside a motel room.  Officers knocked and the door opened.  Officers were able to identify the suspect inside the hotel room based on the clothing he was wearing and the original clothing description given by the reporting party.  Through the course of the investigation officers located stolen vehicle keys and a cell phone that belonged to the reporting party.   The keys, cell phone and suspect, Kayle Washington were all positively identified by the reporting party.

    Kayle Washington, a 26-year-old St. Stephens resident was arrested for burglary.


    Captain Byerly praised the motel employee for providing an accurate description of the suspect, and the timely work of RPD officers, ”

    It is important to note that when people call in crimes, it is important to give as accurate of a description as possible.  The information provided by the reporting party in reference to this incident was vital in not only locating, but identifying the suspect.  It was the collaborative effort of the reporting party, dispatchers and officers that gave closure to this case.



    Related Posts

    Have a news tip or an awesome photo to share?