(Lander, WY) – The 2021 Challenge for Charities celebration and award ceremony took place in the historic Livery Stable at the Museum of the American West in Lander, on Thursday, August 12th.
Hosted by the Lander Community Foundation’s (LCF) Executive Director Mary Greene, Board Chair Susan Brame, and Vice Board Chair Mike Kusiek, Challenge for Charities broke multiple records in its 11th year.
The Challenge for Charities has two types of donations: community challengers/businesses/individuals who donate to the matching pool, and individuals who donate directly to participating nonprofits.
In total, over $588,000 was raised for the 43 participating groups, the most ever raised in one event.
The nonprofits raised over $416,000, and 16 nonprofits raised over the maximum match level of $10,000, with 109 challengers donating over $171,000, each a record breaking number in the event’s history.
There were 4 Platinum donors, who all contributed $20,000 or more, including: Lonnie Bull at Edward Jones, the Mortenson Family, Fremont Therapy Group, and an anonymous donor.
Silver level donors, who contributed between $5,000 and $10,000, include: First Interstate Bank, Jerry and Cassy Venters, George and Paula Hunker, Rick and Janie Muir, and an anonymous donor.
There were also 37 Bronze challengers who gave between $1,000 and $5,000, and 62 Iron level Challengers who gave up to $999 each.
In the 11 years Challenge for Charities has been in operation, over $4.8 million has been contributed to the Lander community, with $1 million raised just in the past two years.
The LCF is volunteer-run, and the board includes Treasurer Lorielle Morton, Secretary Linda Lindsey, Leslie VanOrman, Michael Cheek, Missy White, Amanda Sempert, Cori Slingerland, Jennifer Hamilton, Sam Lightner, and Deborah Reguera.
The 43 nonprofits who received donations are as follows:
- Academy of the Winds
- Almost Home Wyoming
- Apple Valley School
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Fremont County
- Restoration Group
- Central Wyoming Climbers Alliance
- Central Wyoming College Alpine Science Institute
- Child Development services
- City of Lander New Parks Land
- Community Entry Services
- First Stop Help Center
- Fremont Counseling Services
- Fremont County Pioneer Association
- Fremont County Search and Rescue
- Fremont Symphony Orchestra
- Good Samaritan Community Meal
- Help for Health Hospice
- Lander Art Center
- Lander Care and Share Food Bank
- Lander Children’s Museum
- Lander Christmas baskets
- Lander Climate Action Network
- Lander Community Concert Association
- Lander Community Foundation Lander Cycling Club
- Lander Library Friends Association
- Lander Masters Special Olympics
- Lander Nordic Ski Association
- Lander Pet Connection
- Lander Presents
- Lander spay and neuter
- Lander Swim Club
- Lander Valley Farmers Market
- Lander Womentum
- Museum of the American West
- Promoting Arts in Lander schools
- Pushroot Community Garden
- The Nature Conservancy in Wyoming
- Water for Wildlife Foundation
- Wind River Farm to Plate
- Wyoming Outdoor Council
- Wyoming Shakespeare Festival company
- Wyoming Wildlife Federation