Many of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department Wildlife Habitat Management Areas (WHMA) are closing for the season to provide protection for wildlife on their winter ranges. WHMAs provide a refuge for big game that must conserve energy and rely on fat restores to survive the coldest months of the year.
“Seasonal closures are essential for minimizing stress-causing disturbances to wintering deer, elk, bighorn sheep, and other wildlife,” said Ray Bredehoft, habitat and access branch chief for Game and Fish. “Closures also reduce the human and recreational impacts to the forage, which supports the wintering wildlife.”
The closures are for any human presence unless otherwise noted. Below are the WHMA updates for Fremont County. The complete list across Wyoming can be found here.
WHMA SEASONAL CLOSURES:
- Inberg/Roy (East Fork) – Dubois – Dec. 16 through May 15 – Closed to human presence, Opens to human presence May 16 at 8 a.m.
- Spence & Moriarity – Dubois – Dec. 16 through May 15 – East Fork County Road and that portion east of the road is open year-round. Rest of the WMA is closed to human presence. Rest of WMA opens May 16 at 8 a.m.
- Whiskey Basin – Dubois – Dec. 1 through May 15 – Closed to vehicles only – Open to foot/horse traffic. Opens to vehicles May 16 at 8 a.m.
- Red Canyon – Lander – Dec. 1 through April 30 – Closed to human presence.
WHMAs OPEN YEAR-ROUND:
- Ocean Lake – Riverton
- Sand Mesa – Shoshoni
PUBLIC ACCESS AREAS WITH SEASONAL CLOSURES:
- Mexican Creek – Lander – Jan. 1 through Aug. 31 – County access road closes Nov. 22.