#headsup: Wildfire season is approaching so plan before you burn
(Fremont County, Wyo.) – As the upcoming wildfire season approaches, Fremont County Fire Protection District’s Battalion 3 (Lander Rural Fire) would like to remind everyone to plan before you burn. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Obtain burn permits (if necessary).
- Always check current and expected weather conditions for the day.
- Burn early in the day, as a decrease in relative humidity and an increase in temperature and wind — all of which increase fire behavior — are commonplace in Fremont County throughout the afternoon.
- Notify your neighbors and your local dispatch office of your burn plans, and be sure that your home address is clearly posted.
- Always have a water source, a charged fire extinguisher, and a shovel or other tools available while you burn to help keep the fire under control.
- If the fire escapes you, call 911 immediately.
Have you prepared your home for the potential risk of wildfire this season? Do your kids know what to do at home in the event of a fire emergency? Are you anticipating summer fun in the mountains filled with campfires? Would you like your children to learn from Smokey Bear himself how to extinguish a campfire properly in order to preserve our natural resources for future generations?
You are invited to join Lander Rural Fire this Saturday, April 22nd from 11-2 at the station in Milford (4580 Highway 287) for a day of fire prevention education, food, and fun! Lunch is graciously provided by Fremont County Fire Protection District. All our welcome!