Fremont man faces three felony charges after August high speed chase

    All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

    (Riverton, WY) – 28-year-old Ethete man Kym Fasthorse, who was arrested back in August after a high speed chase, now faces three felony charges for the incident.

    These charges include aggravated fleeing or attempting to elude police officers, theft (taking firearm), and interference with a police officer.


    Fasthorse is reported to have fled law enforcement after an attempted traffic stop that resulted in the injury of the responding officer. A high speed chase reaching speeds of 100 MPH ensued, during which Fasthorse and the other occupants began throwing various items from the vehicle, including “several baggies of methamphetamine and a stolen firearm.”

    Spike strips were ultimately used to stop the vehicle, and the occupants were detained without further incident.

    Sufficient probable cause was found at the September 1st preliminary hearing, and the case was moved to District Court, where an arraignment was set for September 21st.

    Fasthorse pled not guilty to all counts at the arraignment, and a jury trial was set for March 7th, 2022.


    On the afternoon of August 25th, a Fremont County Sheriff’s Office deputy was dispatched to Morton Lake for reports of domestic abuse.

    While investigating the incident, the deputy learned that the suspect was still at large and possibly in the area, when he noticed a vehicle slowly driving from the direction of travel the suspect had been headed.

    Moments later when an ambulance arrived to evaluate the victim, he observed the same vehicle still driving very slowly, now pointing in their direction, and reportedly believed the vehicle to be a witness to the domestic abuse incident or involved in some capacity.


    He then followed the vehicle for a short time, which maintained a reported speed of 2 MPH, attempting to stop the vehicle by use of siren, lights and PA system to no avail.

    Believing the vehicle was indeed coming to a complete stop, he approached the driver, later determined to be Fasthorse, and three female passengers.

    When he ordered him to get out of the vehicle, Fasthorse then “slammed on the gas and began to quickly accelerate.”


    The deputy grabbed onto the vehicle’s “B pillar,” held on as Fasthorse continued to accelerate, and ordered him to stop or else he would have to use force.

    Fasthorse then sharply swerved to the right, causing him to fall to the ground and roll at a high rate of speed.

    He then returned to his patrol vehicle and pursued Fasthorse, who attempted to elude at a high rate of speed.

    At one point the vehicle spun out and lost control, and the deputy attempted to position his vehicle in front of Fasthorse’s, but was unable to do so.

    The pursuit continued, reaching speeds of 100 MPH, and the occupants of the vehicle began throwing items from the windows, while also piling multiple items in the rear window.

    This reportedly caused the deputy to momentarily be unable to see into the vehicle.

    When the items in the back window were removed, he noticed a female occupant had moved to the driver’s seat, later identified as Gayla Washington, with Fasthorse now in the backseat.

    The pursuit continued until the Wind River Police Department was able to stop the vehicle with a spike strip.

    A “felony stop” was then conducted on the vehicle, and all the occupants were detained and taken into custody without further incident.

    The deputy was later medically evaluated and treated for his injuries, which included road rash on his arms and a contusion on his knee.

    A search of the items thrown from the vehicle was later conducted, where officers found “several baggies of methamphetamine and a stolen firearm.”

    The firearm had been previously stolen from an unlocked vehicle in Hudson on August 3rd, by an individual uninvolved with the chase.

    The maximum penalty for an aggravated fleeing or attempting to elude police officers felony charge is five years imprisonment and a $5,000 fine.

    The maximum penalty for a theft-taking-firearm felony charge is ten years imprisonment, and a $10,000 fine.

    The maximum penalty for an interference with a peace officer felony charge is ten years imprisonment.

    Fast Horse’s jury trial has been scheduled for March 7th, 2022.

    County 10 will provide updates on the case as it progresses, which can be found here.


    Related Posts

    Have a news tip or an awesome photo to share?