Forage removal permits required for harvesting hay within state rights-of-way

    The Wyoming Department of Transportation is issuing a reminder that citizens wishing to harvest hay from the state rights-of-way must first obtain a forage permit from WYDOT.
    The forage permit allows permit holders to mow and collect the forage free of charge through to Oct. 1.
    “This is an opportunity for farmers and ranchers to obtain free livestock forage in this era of high hay prices,” said WYDOT District Maintenance Engineer Lyle Lamb of Basin. “It creates a beneficial relationship that reduces costs to maintain the public roads and provides free forage for agricultural operations.”
    Removal of tall grasses and other plants from the rights-of-way is a safety issue as well as an appearance issue. Deer, antelope and other animals often move to highways when other food sources become scarce. This results in animals being struck by vehicles. Predators and scavengers, including raptors, then inhabit these areas and are involved in other vehicle/wildlife crashes.
    Tall vegetation along highways also presents fire danger. Fires can be started by motorists discarding burning cigarettes or vehicles with faulty exhaust systems or brakes. Fires in proximity to highways can also jump across roadways and impact adjacent property.
    Persons wishing to obtain a forage permit are urged to contact  WYDOT maintenance offices in Basin (568-3400), Cody (587-2220), Dubois (455-2434), Lander (332-4151), Lovell (548-2289), Meeteetse (868-2244), Riverton (856-1341), Shoshoni (876-2436), South Pass (777-4232), Ten Sleep (366-2455), Thermopolis (864-3200) or Worland (347-4359).

    Related Posts

    Have a news tip or an awesome photo to share?