Early Pavillion, WY From Noble Rock
The town of Pavillion had a lot to offer in 1908 and 1926
IN 1908, about twenty-six miles Northwest from Riverton, and thirty-three miles North from Lander, a small town was established. Originally spelled Pavilion, Townsite Company surveyor Boyne Drummond made a small error when he recorded the town as Pavillion with two Ls. The name stuck and the town has been spelled as so ever since. The plotting of the new town was made possible by the purchase of 40 acres from the Lee Mote homestead and 40 acres from the Walter H. Thiess homestead. These acres created the original plat of Pavillion in 1908, with the boundary of the two homesteads becoming Center Avenue.
Pavillion had its ups and downs since the first settlers arrived. The first problem came about when in 1912 the local school house was closed due to the lack of the promised irrigation water that had yet to arrive. This lack of water for irrigation caused many homesteaders to pack up and leave for greener pastures, causing the closing of the school. Several years later, in 1919, surveyors arrived to survey for ditches and in 1921 the Midvale Irrigation district was formed. The belated water soon arrived in 1926 when the ditch was finished. During that year several clubs and organizations started up in the now booming town of Pavillion. There was a Boy Scouts club, an Extension club, the American Legion and an Auxiliary. A newspaper also came to town ran by Jack Long, called The Fremont County Independent.
The Pavillion area was reported to have a climate was ideal and was free from the elements that created cyclones or blizzards. This encouragement brought farmers to the land to plant alfalfa, sweet clover, wheat, barley, rye, oats, potatoes, the well known sugar beets, and all kinds of root crops. Along with the great production of crops, the Pavillion history also had an abundance of producing oil fields within short distance of the townsite. Of these oil fields there was the Maverick Springs field, where the Union Oil Company, the Ohio, and Texas Oil Companies operated, the Pilot Butte field, that was just a few miles southwest of Pavillion, and the Sheldon Dome that lay west of Pavillion.
Re-discover the Winds by visiting the Dubois Museum, the Pioneer Museum in Lander or the Riverton Museum. Log onto www.fremontcountymuseums.com for a complete schedule of events, latest newsletter and the latest Wind River Mountaineer.
Next up for the Fremont County Museums
May 20th 9:30 am at the Riverton Museum, “Shoshoni Cemetery Adventure Trek” Wind River Visitors Council Adventure Trek
May 20th 9:00 am at the Dubois Museum, “Beginning Photography” with Ellen Jungck, Wyoming Community Bank Discovery Speakers Series
May 20th 10:00 am at the Pioneer Museum “Lander Historic Walking Tour” with Randy Wise, Wind River Visitors Council Adventure Trek