Certified Medical Assistant – Pediatrics
The Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (MA) provides clinical support services to the physician. The MA duties include preparation of clients for the room, basic laboratory testing, ECG, updraft treatments, measurement of vital signs, procedures, administering medications, and immunizations. This position also requires electronic record proficiency and basic knowledge of front office procedures as scheduling appointments. The MA be expected to work in other areas of the clinic when deemed appropriate, as the Call Center or floating to other areas when needed.
The MA should have knowledge of medical terms and applicable equipment, medical clinical protocols and procedures, patient, triage methods, concepts and practices, communications and techniques, procedures and standards for the administration of medications, and patient care, patient charts, and patient medical histories, equipment operation such as catheters, oxygen, and, applicable OSHA health, environment and safety, Federal and State, rules and regulations.
- Receives client and prepares for provider appointment per departmental procedures. This includes obtaining and recording client’s vital signs and chief complaint.
- Immediately notifies provider of abnormal vital signs (i.e., low or elevated blood pressure, low or elevated heart rate, low 02 saturation, difficulty breathing, bleeding or hemorrhage, decreased level of consciousness).
- Appropriately communicates provider instructions to clients and serves as patient advocate to provider. This includes contacting clients regarding abnormal laboratory or diagnostic values and relays provider instructions accurately, scheduling/rescheduling appointments per provider instructions, effectively represents patient health care needs and concerns to provider and returns patient’s phone calls in a timely manner;
- Performs laboratory and other tests in conjunction with approved departmental protocols. This includes demonstrating competency in performing blood glucose testing, urinalysis, rapid strep testing, fecal occult blood testing, and urine pregnancy tests; properly instructs patient in specimen collection, such as clean catch urinalysis and sputum specimen collection; demonstrated competency in phlebotomy skills; and performs ECG, updraft treatments, oximetry and 02 set up and administration;
- Maintains equipment and supplies as necessary for patient care including maintaining adequate supplies to perform patient exams and procedures, ensures that exam rooms are set up appropriately for providers to provide appropriate care to clients and places orders, through the assigned staff member, for equipment and/or supplies;
- Provides documentation of all client interactions in client’s electronic medical record to include recording of vital signs, chief complaints, and other appointment specific information in the patient’s electronic medical record; records all telephone interactions with clients in electronic medical record, records all prescription refills for clients in the electronic medical record as ordered by provider and records all other pertinent and client-specific information in the medical record;
- Performs other related duties as assigned to include following guidelines established at time of assignment, accepts assignments willingly, prioritizes workload to ensure timely completion of assignment, asks appropriate clarifying questions relative to scope of assignment and participates in training of other CMA students as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education: This position requires the MA to have graduated from an accredited Medical Assistant Program Certification with the National Association of Health Professionals within sixty (60) days of the last day of clinical externship.
Must have a proven work history with hands-on, full-charge nursing responsibility and demonstrated competency with all aspects of nursing protocols and procedures.
MA’s must be current with BLS certification.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position routinely deals with sensitive and confidential information and documents requiring the utmost privacy and confidentiality.
The MA should provide effective communication and interpersonal skills, observe, interview, and notate patient symptoms, triage patient complaints, maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards, safely operate various medical equipment according to established standards, prepare and process laboratory samples and schedule appointments, work as a team member and foster a cooperative work environment, work with a diverse population, sterilize supplies and equipment, maintain and restock examination and procedures rooms.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit or stand for long periods of time, handle papers, type and operate computer equipment, reach with hands and arms, talk, see and hear. Specific vision abilities are required by this job that includes close vision and the ability to adjust focus. An LPN may be required to assist patients including lifting.
Work is performed in a typical business office/medical clinic environment and periodically at locations outside the office. Some trips by automobile to other sites may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
To apply, click here.