Updated information released at 12:56 pm on 6/14:
Rangers received updated information from the tip line this morning about missing 27-year-old, Cian McLaughlin. McLaughlin was last seen around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8, approximately a half mile from the Lupine Meadows Trailhead, hiking to an unknown destination.
McLaughlin was last seen wearing a cutoff tank top and shorts (unknown color), a bucket hat, and round sunglasses. He was not wearing a backpack. McLaughlin is described as six feet tall and 180 pounds. He has brown, collar length hair and brown eyes. He is said to be thin and has an Irish accent.
Search operations continue in Grand Teton for the second day. Over forty park staff are conducting ground search efforts in the backcountry. Four local search and rescue dog teams and members of Teton County Search and Rescue are also involved. In addition, aerial reconnaissance operations are taking place.
(Moose, WY) — Grand Teton National Park requests the public’s assistance in locating Cian McLaughlin, a 27-year-old male. Teton Interagency Dispatch Center was notified of a missing person report for McLaughlin on Sunday, June 13, at approximately 7 am by the Teton County Sheriff’s Office.
It was believed that McLaughlin intended to go hiking earlier in the week and failed to show up at his place of employment on Thursday, June 10 and was reported missing late Saturday night, June 12.
Park staff surveyed trailhead locations within the park early Sunday morning, June 13, and located McLaughlin’s vehicle at the Lupine Meadows Trailhead. A ground and aerial search was immediately initiated in probable locations that he may have been hiking.
Here is what we know at this time:
- Cian McLaughlin is a 27-year-old male who was last seen in the town of Jackson, Wyoming, on Tuesday, June 8, at 2 p.m.
- The Teton County Sheriff’s Office received a missing person report late Saturday night, June 12 and contacted Grand Teton National Park early Sunday, June 13, when they had information indicating McLaughlin may be hiking in the park.
- McLaughlin failed to report to his employment in Jackson on Thursday, June 10.
- McLaughlin’s vehicle was located at Lupine Meadows Trailhead in Grand Teton National Park on Sunday morning, June 13.
- McLaughlin’s route is unknown. He could be hiking in the Garnet Canyon, Surprise, Amphitheater, Delta, or Taggart Lakes area.
- Aerial reconnaissance and ground search operations were conducted in high probability areas in the park on Sunday, June 13, in search of McLaughlin with no evidence or leads about his whereabouts. Search operations will continue early Monday morning, June 14.
As his plans were unclear, anyone who has been traveling in the Teton backcountry since Tuesday, June 8, may have seen McLaughlin. Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts should contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch: