Smokey Bear wants you to plan before you burn
(Fremont County, Wyo.) – As the upcoming wildfire season approaches, Fremont County Fire Protection District’s Battalion 3 (Lander Rural Fire) would like to remind everyone to plan before you burn (see their list of tips below).
The Lander Rural Fire Department also invites the community to join them for an Open House tomorrow Saturday, April 22nd from 11-2 at the station in Milford (4580 Highway 287) for a day of fire prevention education, food, and fun! Smokey Bear will be making an appearance too. Lunch is provided by Fremont County Fire Protection District and all are welcome.
Here are a few tips to follow if you’re planning on burning this season:
- Obtain burn permits (if necessary).
- Always check current and expected weather conditions for the day.
- Burn early in the day, as a decrease in relative humidity and an increase in temperature and wind — all of which increase fire behavior — are commonplace in Fremont County throughout the afternoon.
- Notify your neighbors and your local dispatch office of your burn plans, and be sure that your home address is clearly posted.
- Always have a water source, a charged fire extinguisher, and a shovel or other tools available while you burn to help keep the fire under control.
- If the fire escapes you, call 911 immediately.