Three people killed, one Injured in one car rollover near Lusk

(Lusk, Wyo.) –  The Wyoming Highway Patrol reports an early morning crash on August 4, 2014, at around 3 am has claimed the lives of three individuals and hospitalized a fourth. The crash occurred about 27 miles north of Lusk, WY in Niobrara County on U.S. 85.

According to investigating officers, 34 year old Robert Bentz of Westminster, Colo., was the driver of a north bound 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan which drifted across the south bound lane of the highway and off of the roadway. The vehicle then collided with a driveway approach causing it to become airborne before landing and rolling. Bentz, 59-year-old Suzanne Schermerhorn of Rapid City, S.D., and 86-year-old Nola Reber also of Rapid City, SD were all ejected from the vehicle.

A fourth passenger, 26 year old Krystal Sandoval was not ejected and was hospitalized in Lusk. None of the passengers were seat belted.

Troopers are investigating fatigue, speed, and prescription medication usage as contributing factors.

The one vehicle rollover with non belted passengers continues to be the most deadly crash on Wyoming highways. So far this year, 44% of the fatalities on Wyoming roads have involved non seat belted passengers in vehicles which roll.

–Provided by Wyoming Highway Patrol


  1. Sheila Haukaas

    Wear your seat belts! !!!

  2. Chris Keele

    So if 44% of the people killed were not wearing seat belts that means that the other 56% of the people were wearing seat belts. Why is the seat belt used deaths higher than the non used seat belts if they are so much safer?

  3. Connie Petrich Shaw

    I think they are also including the one vehicle rollover in their stats…

Leave a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Current ye@r *