(Riverton, Wyo.) – A rash of vehicle burglaries has been reported across the county in the past week. Most of the occurrences were in Riverton since last Tuesday, but Lander was hit this past weekend as well. Riverton Police Captain Eric Murphy said since last Tuesday there have been about 20 thefts from vehicles. In nearly every instance, with one lone exception, the vehicles were unlocked. The RPD again reminds residents to lock their vehicles, garages and houses when unattended and not to leave valuable items in plain sight inside an unattended vehicle.
The latest thefts were:
– 700 block Village Drive. A back garage door was left unlocked and a thief entered and took $450 in cash and a check book from a gray 2012 Ford F-150 parked inside.
– 700 block Village Drive. A garage was entered and $11 in cash was taken from a 2007 Honda Civic.
– 200 block East Pine. Unlocked vehicles and a garage were gone through. Missing is a $200 value iPod from one vehicle and a $2,500 valued diamond ring from another vehicle. Both were left unlocked.
– 800 block North 2nd East. A first aid kit, a Tom-Tom GPS unit and an Olympus D-230 camera were taken from a vehicle there. The owner told police he thought he had locked the vehicle.
– 800 block North 2nd East. A possible vehicle burglary was thwarted when a family member coming home at 2 a.m. saw a male identified only as “ganstered out” near his dad’s pickup. The man was wearing dark baggy clothes. He ran off, nothing was taken.
– 4000 block of Inverness. Credit cards were taken from a 2010 Toyota Tundra parked there.