(Lander, Wyo.) – July 4th in Lander is a day packed with festivities, from food to footraces to fireworks. Here are our Top Six:
6. Enjoy the Pancake Breakfast at the Senior Center
5. Check out — or better yet, put together a float and participate in — the 121st Pioneer Days Parade
4. Attend the Rotary Club’s Annual Buffalo BBQ at City Park
3. Catch the action at the world’s oldest paid rodeo at the Lander Old Timers Rodeo Arena
2. Watch the fireworks from the rodeo grounds
1. And the Number One Thing to Do on July 4th: run or walk in the Lander Challenge for Charities Half-Marathon, 5K race or Kids’ One-Mile Mad Dash.
The Challenge for Charities raises and contributes vital funds to Lander’s nonprofit organizations. Race registration fees go towards a matching-fund pool, which last year totaled more than $91,000, donated to 34 local nonprofits.
To register for the race, go to www.active.com or pick up a registration form at a local gym, Wild Iris Mountain Sports or the Chamber of Commerce. Every racer gets a fabulous t-shirt celebrating the event.
The half-marathon run and walk will follow a scenic rolling loop course on paved country roads in the foothills of the Wind River Mountains, beginning and ending at Centennial Park in the 200 block of Main Street. The 5K race will also begin and end at the park. The Kids’ One-Mile Mad Dash (new this year) will begin and end at Centennial Park on Main Street. For maps and more info, check out www.landercommunityfoundation.org
Last year, 649 runners and walkers participated in the races. Nearly half were from Lander and 74% were Wyoming residents. A quarter of racers were from other states, and one participant hailed from Spain.
In 2013, the half-marathon was won by Levin Zars, with Pearson Smith coming in second. Janet Winter won the half-marathon walk, and Ben Gose won the 5K run, followed by Sydney Taylor.
Because of its growing popularity, 750 racers are expected to participate in this year’s event. Don’t miss this chance to get out there and have a great time while supporting Lander’s terrific nonprofit organizations!