The scene after the fire was extinguished in the 1000 block of Sherry Street. The fire, which apparently started on a back deck, was ruled accidental in nature. (Ernie Over photo)

(Riverton, Wyo.) – A fire that heavily damaged the kitchen, dining room, deck and attic of a home on Sherry Street yesterday afternoon did not result in any injuries, to the residents there or to three dogs inside the home. The fire has been ruled accidental in nature. It apparently started on the back deck of the multi-level home.

Fortunately, Assistant Fire Chief Scott Walters was at the fire station on North 8th West when the call came in. “I was getting some sand bags counted out for Homeland Security, I heard the page and I was just a short distance away,” he said. “I was the first on the scene before the PD showed up.”

Walters said he, Riverton Police Officer Eli Miller and the father of the disabled child inside the home cleared the residence and brought the child out from a back bedroom on the other side of the house from where the fire was burning. “Two of the family’s three dogs ran out of the house, but the third one hunkered down in a back bedroom corner. It was okay,” he said. “We called EMS to check on the girl, but she was okay. It was to get her out of the heat and the ambulance was cool.”

Outside temperatures at the time were near 90°F.

“It was a good knock down and we saved the house, it’s fixable,” Walters said. “I’m really proud of the way the guys handled this one.”

The RPD did get a little help. A neighboring teen, Garrett Middleton, heard what he told County10.com were popping and crackling noises, looked outside and saw the elevated deck on the rear of the house totally engulfed in flames. He said he ran outside and, together with another man who ran into the yard, started spraying water from a garden hose on the fire.

At the peak of the blaze, a firefighter attacked the outside of the house from inside the house. (Ernie Over photo)

At the peak of the blaze, a firefighter attacked the outside of the house from inside the house. The deck was charred. It is believed the fire started on the deck. It has been ruled an accidental fire. (Ernie Over photo)