A Riverton Police Officer directed traffic at the fire scene. Smoke can be scene coming out of Unit #3. (Photo by Ashley Horton) 

(Riverton, Wyo.) – Riverton Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Scott Walters today said a fire in an unoccupied apartment under renovation was most likely caused by something that fell onto a floor furnace. He said the investigation is still underway, however. Only one of the apartments in the unit was occupied and the fire was in Unit # 3 at 321 East Monroe. Most of the apartments at that location are being upgraded and remodeled. Walters said it was unknown what fell onto the floor heater.

“We saved the structure and the apartment only had moderate damage,” Walters said. “The fire was right across the street from Station #4 so we were on it within two minutes,” he said. “It was a pretty good save.”

The fire was contained the floor furnace area.

Smoke rolled out of Unit #3 as firefighters entered the structure. (Photo by Ashley Horton)

Smoke rolled out of Unit #3 as firefighters entered the structure. (Photo by Ashley Horton)