Charges against Gabriel Drennen officially dismissed by judge

(Lander, Wyo.) – Ninth District Court Judge Norman E. Young has signed the dismissal order filed in the case against Gabriel Drennen.

Drennen was previously serving a life sentence for first degree murder but had his 2011 conviction overturned by the Wyoming Supreme Court on Oct. 1 of this year. He was charged with murder and aggravated assault in connection to the 2010 Riverton shooting death of 29-year-0ld Leroy Hoster. On Monday of this week, a lesser charge of Possession, Manufacture, or Disposition of Deadly Weapon with Unlawful Intent.

However, late on Wednesday, Fremont County Attorney Michael Bennett filed a motion to dismiss all charges. “My office has the obligation to ensure justice is available to all citizens,” Bennett said on Wednesday. “To that end, the law and the evidence in this case support Mr. Drennen’s actions under self-defense. While he may be condemned in the court of public opinion for his decisions, the same will not be true for his actions in a court of law.”

Fremont County Undersheriff Ryan Lee said that Drennen was released from the Fremont County Detention Center at 6:05 p.m. on Thursday.

The Riverton Police Department, which led the investigation of the 2010 shooting, has not released a statement on the most recent developments.

Yesterday, Drennen’s appellate attorney Tom Jubin released an 11-page statement detailing what he uncovered in his investigation into the case.

2013-12-20 09.54.05