(School Resource Office Jake Conilogue, center, in action at the end of the Junior Crime Scene Investigation program earlier this year.)
(Lander, Wyo.) – Fremont County School District 1, in conjunction with the Lander Police Department, have been approved for a grant to help fund a second School Resource Officer for Lander’s schools.
The Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) approved the grant that would fund 75 percent of an SRO for three years. The fourth year, the officer would have to be funded in-full by the district. Lander Police Chief Jim Carey said while the school district will be responsible for paying for the other 25 percent of the officer’s salary, his department would help out where possible with regard to a patrol vehicle, training and necessary equipment.
Carey said this would be an added position to the police force. Should an officer already employed by LPD be offered the position, the department would refill the job that was left.
Before either agency can begin the search to fill the position, the FCSD1 Board of Education has to accept the grant. The grant will not be on the board’s agenda this Friday, Superintendent Mike Bowman said, because the agenda was set a week ago. This means the earliest the grant could come before the board is Oct. 15.
“Our administrative team will be meeting to determine how this position can meet the needs of the district,” Bowman said.
Carey said should the position be filled, it would help cut down on the existing School Resource Officer’s overtime as well as improve service overall to the school district.
“We’re very excited to finalize this,” he said.
(File photo above.)