(Updated at 2:30 p.m. with audio interview of Supt. Terry Snyder)
By Joshua Scheer, reporter, county10.com
(Riverton, Wyo.) – Riverton Fire Department Assistant Chief David Woolery said firefighters put out a small fire at Riverton High School.
Fremont County School District 25 Executive Assistant Candy McCue said students were sent home this morning due to air quality conditions “as a result of smoke at the building.”
A teacher at the high school who declined to be named said students were sent to the Career Center. Classes were been cancelled, as has tonight’s Freshman Wolverine basketball game, but the wrestling match with Lander Valley will go on as planned at the Tonkin Activity Center off campus.
Woolery confirmed that there were no injuries due to the fire, which he said was contained to a dryer in a utility room attached to the athletic department. He said a fire was burning when firefighters arrived shortly after being called at 9:31 a.m. Firefighters began ventilating the building after the fire was put out.
A group of high school students were hanging out in the north-side parking lot after being released from the career center. Junior Cade Kirkham said she and others were let in to the building only part way to retrieve their things. Brother JP and Brad Baxter both said they noticed a little smoke before the students were evacuated. Brad, a freshman, said he was in Physical Education at the time and said there was more of a smell of burning rather than a smell of smoke.
Woolery said about at about 10:45 a.m. that firefighters would be clear of the scene within the next hour.
Fremont County School District #25 Superintendent Terry Snyder told our news partner Leslie Stratmoen at KTAK/KVOW more details about the fire and plans for school on Friday. Listen to the interview here.
Update at 10:47
County10.com’s news partner Leslie Stratmoen at KTAK/KVOW reports that students will be allowed back in the building later this afternoon to retrieve personal items, but that tonight’s Wolverine basketball game has been postponed. More details forthcoming from county10.com’s Josh Scheer who was at the scene.
Update at 10:41
The fire at RHS is out, according to County10’s Josh Scheer who is at the site. He said the fire was in an equipment room and inside a dryer there. The fire apparently burned for a short time until it was discovered. The building is now being evacuated of smoke. School officials said RHS will resume normal class schedules on Friday. County10.com will have an update soon with photos and interviews with students.
(Riverton, Wyo.) – “Riverton High School students are being sent home for the day due to air quality conditions caused by smoke in the building”, said Candy McCue, Executive Assistant of FCSD #25. Students are being signed out one by one, but everyone has been evacuated from the building. McCue said that the decision will be made later today on whether or not school will be held tomorrow.